3.08.2017

No seven year itch here


Facebook reminded me today that 7 years ago was my first 5K! I was not a born runner by any stretch of the word. I was on the track team in 7th and 8th grade but mainly for the social aspects of it, making it around the track once seemed like an impossible feat. Running was just never my thing. Right up until a little over 7 years ago.

I had started to run a little bit here and there beginning with the walk and run method. And then one day I wanted to see how far I could go without stopping and ran 3 miles without stopping! Then, I did it again and then again. It felt good, I finally realized the secret was to keep breathing and it was almost fun. OK, not fun but it felt awesome when I was done. My work friend Susannah was a legit runner and stared talking to me about doing a race. “A race? Me? No way!” But, it was too late, the thought was in my head and 7 years ago today I ran that first race with Susannah and my mom (who had been running quite a bit back at that time) and that was the beginning of the end for me. I got bit by the bug hard and as soon as I crossed that finish line, I wanted more! 
First 5K- March 2010


In the past 7 years now I have completed over 31 races: 1 marathon, 6 half marathons, a 10 miler, and countless 10Ks to 5Ks. Running has transformed me, it’s that simple. Running has helped me mentally get through some really hard losses in life and helped me find focus and myself again after having both of my sweet boys. It’s an activity that I can basically do anywhere and feel decent about at any skill level. I have made some of my absolute best and most inspiring friends thru running. If I can do it, anyone can do it!


 :


Why do you love to run? Have you been running your whole life?



No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are the double stuff oreos to my milk :)