5.17.2018

its Race week- my Cleveland Marathon 26.2!

3 years ago today I ran my first and only (so far) full marathon!  It was amazing, emotional, it was so tough and it was one of the most rewarding moments of my entire life. The journey to those 26.2 miles is something that I haven’t really ever written out though I have thought about it a hundred times. 


26.2 miles complete!
This is my real Cleveland Marathon 26.2 story. 

Roughly 11 months before those 26.2 miles my husband moved out of our house. It was a joint decision and something that needed to happen but my whole world was thrown upside down. At the time our boys were 1 and 3 years old. I was obviously worried and not sure exactly what to do with myself. Specifically, I was not sure what to do with myself when the kids were not with me. I learned to mow the grass (I know, lame) and I tried new recipes and went to hang out with friends. I had been running for a few years in between having the boys and I saw an add about applying to be a Cleveland Marathon Ambassador and thought it sounded really cool. I hesitated as I filled out the questionnaire knowing I was just a slow-ish wannabe runner who trained on my lunch breaks and sometimes on the weekends. I was not fast at all and there was really nothing special about what I did but I sent in the application anyways and a few months later I received an email that I was actually chosen to be an ambassador! I was elated and actually pretty damn shocked but went with it.

Then I started getting the bug that maybe I should consider running a full marathon. I had run a few half marathons, I’m sure I could do a full if I put my mind to it right?  And I was an ambassador after all, why NOT go for it? And I had a day every weekend that I could dedicate to running when the kids were with their dad. It seemed like a better therapy than going out to drink, and cheaper too. I mentioned this idea to my running buddy Lynanne and she agreed that this was something that we could train together for so we got a plan and started training. At the time we worked together and were able to run on our lunch breaks and also had some really awesome running friends at work who were consistently motivational and pepped us up! We were so dedicated to our goal of completing the full that we just never took no for an answer. We ran and walked and ran again until we hit our long run goal each and every weekend and we really had the best time! Soon, I was watching her cross the finish line in Pittsburgh and a few weeks later, I was crossing the finish with my handsome little guy in Cleveland. This moment will never leave my memory, I thought I would be a sappy mess but I was never more proud! It felt like I weathered the storm and came out just fine. It was one of my proudest moments in my life!



2105 Cleveland Marathon

Over the next few years the schedule changed, the divorce was finalized and I didn’t want to dedicate as much time to running when the boys were with me. Now, we split the boys every other weekend and the idea of going out for a 4+ hours run just felt bananas to me. I wanted to spend time with my boys and decided that training for the half marathon for the last three years was a smarter choice for me. I was able to get up and run before they were awake or only be gone a minimal amount of time and hang with them. I plan to run the half marathon again this year, in just a few days.

The people I have met as an ambassador have become so special to me over the years. It’s this awesome little family of amazing people who not only motivate the heck out of me but they are just always there for me. One my most favorite nights of the year is the VIP dinner for the race that we get to attend. We change out of our sweaty running gear, get a little dolled up and hang out with each other and eat some great food at the gorgeous Hyatt arcade that in downtown Cleveland.  It’s the most fun night and I look so forward to it. The first two years mom my came with me and we had a blast! Shes a semi-retired runner and really loves hearing about everyone’s training plans and its an fun excuse to have a girls night. Last year I was excited to have my boyfriend join me for the special night. He had heard all the stories of my running friends and seen pictures from years before so I was excited to get a special date night with him in the city. It ended up being so much more special that I had even expected because after we ate and he had met all of my friends we stood on the stairs to get our picture taken and he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! I was in complete shock and it was one of the best nights of my life! It was nothing short of incredible and made one of my favorite nights all the more special. 


2017 VIP reception dinner
And that night, that race weekend, really felt like a complete full circle moment for me. This race that is associated with getting me through some of my hardest times in life has also been a part a new beginning for me and some of the most exciting moments in my life! I'm happy to say that after that night we purchased a new home together and were married a few months ago.

This will be my 7th year participating in the Cleveland marathon. I have run it with my sister, my mom, my cousin and so many friends. I have crossed the finish line holding my boys hands and have watched them participate in the kids run.  I am still completely honored and humbled by the fact I am associated with this race that is so unbelievably special to me. Thank you Cleveland Marathon for letting me be a part of this race that I love.

Here’s to a great race weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are the double stuff oreos to my milk :)