New Sew Crib Skirt

It's pretty generally known that kiddo #2 and further down the line gets mostly hand me downs. It's true. Why buy a whole new wardrobe if we have all of Ryan's clothes that are perfectly adorable. I was excited to get a little more bang for our buck actually. And let it be known that MANY of Ryan's clothes were actually courtesy of my cousin Anne and her 4 boys!  

Ryan did get a whole new room painted and new carpet installed. We worked for months on getting his room just perfect and I spent way too much time obsessing over the details. Thad's mom is a very talented sewer. She made a crib skirt, some roman shades, and a quilt for Ryan too. 

Enter Jack. We knew the boys would be sharing a room and that we would need to make room for two. I re-organized the closet and dresser to accommodate both boys clothes. Jack had some special artwork done for him by my dad, Thad's mom, and Thad's aunt. Those are all hung up and it's looking much more like a shared boys room as opposed to just Ryan's room plus one. I knew we would keep mostly everything in their room, but I wanted to make a new crib skirt for Jack. So that it was new for him. 

I shopped for fabric back in January with the hopes of getting it all ready before Jack arrived. Well, you can guess how well that turned out. I just finished it this morning and it looks awesome (if i say so myself). A long time ago I read on one of my favorite blogs how to do a new sew crib skirt. Check it out here.

It was pretty simple. It took me longer because I was working on it while watching tv, so I wasn't fully paying attention. Cutting the fabric took the longest. 

Here were the steps I took
-Measured the long and short sides of the crib length and width. 
-Cut the fabric with about 1" extra on each side. When I was cutting I noticed that the cars for the long side of the crib would be driving up instead of side to side. So I cut two pieces for this side and decided to put a scrap piece of fabric to give the illusion of a pleat. (tricky, tricky!)
-Then I used some stitch witchery to hem up all of the sides of the fabric I cut. 
-Lastly, I used velcro dots to attach the fabric to the sides of the crib springs. 

I'm pretty pleased with it and it's done just in time for me to go back to work tomorrow. 
 

See the pleat?  
Tricked you!
It's just a scrap piece of fabric looking much like a pleat. 

What are you guys working on this weekend?  Any project that you have been meaning to get done?  Did you do any special projects for kiddo #2?  

..................................................................................................................................................................

Check us out on facebook and like us if you want to make my day :)

Comments